This gorgeous looking Indonesian cullinary (Nasi Tim Ayam Jamur) may look simple, but taste-wise, it is as satisfying as winning lotto. Hard boiled egg, diced chicken breast and thinly sliced button mushroom are simmered in soy sauce, oyster sauce, kecap manis and sesame oil, slowly reduced to dark and sticky consistency. On the other hand, jasmine rice is cooked with knots of pandan leaves and sesame oil, filling the air with its distinct aroma. Home made chicken stock from nearby bubbling pot is then added as it sizzles with every single splash of it.
Assembling is also a piece of cake. Place halfed soy egg at the bottom of a ramekin and fill the gap with a few tablespoons of soy chicken and mushroom. Top with half cooked rice and add extra splash of chicken stock, and straight into the steamer.
To serve, turn the ramekin upside down to a plate, sprinkle generously with chopped spring onions and fried shallots; add a few slices of chilli and few leaves of coriander, and voila, this scrumptious dish is yours to devour.
Steamed Chicken and Mushroom Rice
Chicken & Mushroom:
- 1kg Chicken Breast (diced)
- 300gr Button Mushroom (thinly sliced)
- 10 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 6 Eggs
- 4tbsp Sesame Oil
- 4tbsp Soy Sauce
- 10tbsp Kecap Manis
- 2tbsp Oyster Sauce
- 2tsp Salt
- 2tsp White Pepper
- 750gr Rice (rinsed and drained)
- 3tsp Salt
- 3 knots Pandan Leaves
- 3tbsp Canola Oil
- 2tbsp Sesame Oil
- 200ml Water / Chicken Stock
- 12 Ramekins
- Spray Canola Oil
- Fried Shallot
- Spring Onions (sliced)
- Red Chilli (sliced)
- Boil eggs in hot water for 10 minutes and peel.
- Heat wok, stir fry garlic, put in chicken and mushroom. In the mean time, mix sauce together in a small bowl, and pour into the wok. Add eggs. Cook until chicken is cooked and sauce is reduced. Once it’s cool to handle, reserve egg and cut them in half.
- On a different heated wok, stir fry rice with all the ingredients, slowly add water / chicken stock until it’s half cooked.
- Spray Ramekins with Canola Oil. Put halved egg (cut side down), and two tablespoon of chicken and mushroom at bottom. Then fill with rice. Add extra 4 tablespoon of chicken stock.
- Arrange the ramekins in a steamer, and steam for 30 minutes (until rice is cooked through).
- To serve: turn the ramekin upside down onto serving plate. Sprinkle spring onion, chilli, fried shallot and coriander on top.