So I’m jumping into healthy food wagon by making this super healthy and delicious Quinoa Salad, inspired by Jamie Oliver. I must admit that quinoa is not cheap, maybe because it’s labelled as superfood by keen scientists.
Now for the ingredients, the key is to get the freshest and healthiest. Look at this colorful family: brave red and stunning yellow capsicums, super sweet and juicy mango, super creamy avo, light baby spinach, and don’t forget fresh mint and coriander. I can say that they are a lethal combo (even someone who loaths coriander like me would agree). Add a little kick from chilli and punch from crunchy spring onion, enough to lift up the flavour together with generous squeeze of lime juice and a few drizzles of olive oil. Finally, top the salad with sizzling chicken breast, turbo charged with all spice and smoked paprika.
What’s even better is that it only takes 15 minutes to make. (Okay, 15 for Jamie, and 45 for me – plus cleaning time). Anyway, give this a go and get ready to rock and roll…
- Quinoa Salad:
- 1 cup of quinoa
- 1 red chilli
- 100g baby spinach
- 3 spring onions
- 1 bunch of coriander
- 1 bunch of mint
- 1 ripe mango
- 1 lime
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ripe avocado
- 30g feta cheese
- 1 punnet of cress
- natural yoghurt
- Blackened Chicken:
- 500g skinless chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- olive oil
- 2 red and yellow peppers
- Cook quinoa in boiling water
- Put chilli, spinach, spring onions, coriander, mint leaves into food processor and finely chop.
- Season chicken with salt, peper, allspice and smoked paprika, smash until 1.5cm thick (to reduce cooking time).
- Pan fry chicken with a little bit of olive oil.
- When chicken is half cooked, deseed peppers, tear off to bite sizes and add to pan.
- Peel and cut mango into chunks.
- Drain quinoa and rinse under tap water, drain well and mix with spinach mixture. Squeeze lime juice and drizzle olive oil, mix and season to taste.
- Sprinkle mango and peppers over the quinoa. Scoop and add avocado.
- Slice chicken and add to salad.
- Crumble feta cheese and snip over the cress.
- Serve together with yoghurt.
Oh Quinoa, how I love thee! This looks scrumptious !
Thanks Florentina! It was my first time cooking quinoa, and I loved it…