Soto betawi is one of many soto versions in Indonesia. Popular in region of Betawi (including Jakarta), it uses beef as the main ingredient and uses coconut milk to add to its richness. Served with fried potatoes, diced tomatoes, and steamed rice, this dish is surely a comfort dish to many.
Aromatic Braised Beef with Coconut Broth
- Heavy based pot
- Frying pan
- Food Processor
- 1 kg Beef Gravy
- 15 g Ginger sliced
- 20 g Galangal sliced
- 2 l Water
- 100 g Shallot
- 4 clove Garlic
- 5 ea Candle Nut
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp Ground Coriander Seed
- 1/2 tsp Ground White Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 4 Lemongrass bruised
- 3 Bay Leaves South East Asian
- 5 Kaffir Lime Leaves
- 40 g Cooking Oil
- 400 ml Coconut Milk
- 2 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 1/2 tsp Sugar
- 3 Potatoes diced
- 2 Tomatoes diced
- Celery Stalk and Leaves chopped
- Spring Onion chopped
- Fried Shallot
- Lime Wedges
- Kecap Manis to taste
- 5 Steamed Rice
- Braise beef (in big pieces) with ginger, galangal and water on low heat for 2.5 hours or until tender.
- Cut potatoes into 2cm cubes and deep fry, set aside.
- Make paste in food processor.
- Once beef is tender, take out from the pot and set aside. Reserve beef stock in pot. Turn off the heat.
- Optional: Once beef is cool and dry, heat up frying pan on high, add oil and sear the beef. This add smokiness to the beef.
- Cut beef into 2cm cubes and set aside.
- Heat up frying pan to medium, fry Paste and Aromatics in oil for approximately 10 minutes.
- Mix in spices and cook for another 2-3 minutes, until fragrant. Turn off the heat, and transfer into the beef stock, cook the stock on low heat.
- Stir in coconut milk, mix and cook for 15 minutes, stirring regularly until fragrant, season with salt and sugar.
- Add beef cubes, potatoes, tomatoes to a bowl, ladle in coconut broth. Garnish with with celery, spring onion and fried shallot.
- Serve with Steamed rice, Kecap Manis and Lime Wedges on the side.